I live the charmed life. I grew up in a nice suburban community, went to great schools, attended college, and got a job in my field allowing me to purchase a home and start a family. When I watch the news and I see all these horror stories of abject poverty, I simply cannot relate. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have empathy for those poor souls, but I have no idea what it is like to walk a mile in their shoes. To demonstrate just how different my life is, let me quickly recount a story about what might be the potentially worst thing that has happened in a very long time. My contractor friend has given me sound advice throughout the years on little things from using HEPA filters for the HVAC equipment to getting those energy efficient lights to save money on the electric bill. One piece of advice he gave me was to get a radon gas detecting device. It’s just a small box with charcoal inside it that detects the presence of radon gas. Radon gas is a potentially dangerous gas that seeps into your basement through any cracks that might exist in the foundation. It might seem odd to have cracks in the foundation of a house, but over time the Earth around your home moves around slightly causing everything to shift, and subsequently crack. Anyway, I had the detector in there for barely a week when it began registering radon gas. This was alarming because radon gas can cause cancer over a long period of exposure. This was the worst moment I can remember in a very long time.