My daughter goes to a very upscale boarding school in the east. They have been experiencing some very bad temperatures already this winter. She is constantly complaining to me about how cold she is in her room. The only upside to this cold spell is that her allergies get a break from the spring and summer months. She is the most miserable during that time. The only thing that can affect her all year long is mold, but mold is pretty containable and I do not expect her to be having too many issues with the tuition I pay for her environment. Well. apparently, I was wrong. She called me from the nurse’s office on Friday with a severe allergy attack. She had no system what set it off. I know that they have been running the heating and cooling unit non-stop with the cold temperatures. She told me that thermostat is programmed, but the heat is on all day long. I asked the nurse if she knew what the maintenance schedule was like on their HVAC unit. She thought that was a peculiar question to be asking; consequently, I explained that allergens get caught in air filters and then are circulated around the air they are breathing in. If an HVAC unit isn’t properly maintained and cleaned, mold can easily form. She relayed the information to the headmaster, and would you believe I got a phone call later that day with a huge apology from the headmaster. With a new maintenance lead, the service appoint was overlooked. The vents were covered in mold.